Amoeba Possibly Found in Drinking Water Killed a Man in Florida

According to health officials, a man in Florida died from a “brain-eating” amoeba he presumably acquired from tap water. The individual, whose identity has not been disclosed, died last week from an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri. But do not stop drinking from the tap just yet. It is suspected that he caught the condition by rinsing his sinuses, as health officials have stated that such illnesses do not result from drinking tap water.

Jae Williams, a representative for the Florida Department of Health, said, “In order to contract this, you must shove water down your nose.” This is an incredibly specialized method. The general population is not at risk for infection. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that just 31 Americans became infected between 2012 and 2021.