It’s possible that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle forgot to RSVP to King Charles’ coronation invitation in time.
The Telegraph says that Buckingham Palace has already emailed guests of the coronation and told them to “save the date” for the event. Some guests have been asked to let the palace know if they will attend by Monday, April 3, 2023.
After the Duke and Duchess of Sussex put out their Netflix docuseries, and Harry wrote his explosive memoir, Spare, their relationship with the institution and some members of the Royal Family got worse.
People started to wonder if the King wasn’t going to invite his younger son and daughter-in-law. But the couple’s spokesperson said in a public statement last month that they had received an invitation.
In an interview published in January to coincide with the release of his memoir, the Duke of Sussex was asked if he planned to attend the Coronation. By telling them the “door is always open,” and the “ball is in their court,” he avoided answering the question, as reported by Express.co.uk.
Dr. George Gross, visiting research fellow in Theology at King’s College London, told Express.co.uk last month that unless the official invitations had an RSVP deadline, Harry and Meghan still have time.
But it’s not clear if the deadline also applies to the former royals. Also, Archie, who will be four on the day of the Coronation, and Lilibet, who will be 21 months old, will not be joining the Royal Family for their grandfather’s big day.
As a result of Harry’s unexpected trip to London for a preliminary hearing in his privacy case against Associated Newspapers Ltd., there are more rumors that the couple will go to the Coronation.