A club source said that Lionel Messi had been banned for two weeks by Paris Saint-Germain because he took an unauthorized trip away from the team to take care of personal business.
CNN has reached out to Messi’s team to find out what they think.
The person said Messi missed training on Monday because he had to attend an event outside of France. Several sources say that Messi is in Saudi Arabia.
The Minister of Tourism for Saudi Arabia, Ahmed Al Khateeb, wrote on Monday, “I am happy to welcome #Messi and his family to Saudi to enjoy the magical tourist destinations and authentic experiences. We welcome visitors worldwide to experience a unique trip to Saudi Arabia and its hospitality.”
Messi himself shared a tourism ad for Saudi Arabia on Instagram four days ago. It said, “Who thought Saudi has so much green? I love to explore its unexpected wonders whenever I can. #visitsaudi.”
Over the next two weeks, PSG will play Troyes and Ajaccio.
Even though they had the seven-time Ballon D’Or winner on their team, PSG lost 3-1 to Lorient at home on Sunday, but they are still in first place in Ligue 1.
Messi’s deal with PSG runs out on June 30, 2023, and it has been said many times that the 35-year-old won’t stay at the Parisian club.